Saturday, July 30, 2011

Jasper

Tyler has some time off work because his boss closes the clinic for a couple weeks so we decided to go camping in Jasper. Tyler has never been to Jasper and I have only been once about 15 years ago so we bought a mansion tent...lucky for us it was on sale at Canadian Tire, some weiner roast sticks and all the food you eat when you go camping and headed off. When we finally arrived it was a little cloudy but not raining so we had lunch, explored the campground and walked around the town. We got ice cream because Tyler thinks that is what you are supposed to do in a national park and then made the long long drive to the hot springs. The warm water felt amazing and Quinn of course loved it. When we arrived back at camp we quickly found out that all our firewood was soaked, our chairs were soaked and therefore instead of hot dogs and smores for supper we had peanut butter & honey sandwiches. We actually did get enough coals to roast a couple marshmallows. Quinn slept like a dream in her pack and play and actually stayed quite warm...unlike me who woke up every hour FREEZING! Tyler & I slept in our double sleeping bag which I unrolled backwards so we slept on top of all the covers and it was a little cramped when Rocko decided he was freezing and needed to join the sleeping party. In perfect camping style Quinn woke up at 6:30 and we quickly headed to the escape and cranked the heat.
A serious rack

Just trying out the dirt.

Mansion.


The campsite


Downtown.

Posed for a picture between chasing squirrels

Cutest little camper EVER!


A true campers breakfast...peanut butter & honey

Protecting Quinn from the mosquitoes

It turned out to be a beautiful morning and second day. We ate breakfast and cleaned up camp then headed to see some of the sights of Jasper. I seriously love this place. The mountains are so tall with this whitish rock and lots of the water looks greenish blue. We drove over to Athabasca falls and walked around. It was beautiful.
Loving being outside

Athabasca Falls


Family.

Beautiful.

Next we headed over to Maligne Canyon. We found ourselves the perfect Tyler/Erin hike AKA short with amazing views. It took us around half hour and the Canyon was amazing. It is definitely a must see.
Fist pump for hiking



Things we learned while in Jasper:
-it rains there...a lot
-the majority of the cool sites are a fair distance from each other (next time we want to go to the ice fields)
-the campgrounds have tons of trees and squirrels which Rocko really enjoyed
-the water is COLD
-there are tons of lakes and rivers perfect for fishing
-mansion tents are the bomb
-Elk are like the deer in Waterton
-there are a lot of tourists from foreign places

I love that all the parks on the Rockies are so different and really enjoyed our quick little jaunt to Jasper. We can't wait to go back!

4 comments :

girluntitled said...

ooo i have fond memories of visiting jasper when we lived in edmonton. and it's so true about waterton, banff, and jasper. each are distinctly different in their own little way!

jezebel said...

You should for sure go to the ice fields... My dad took us there when I was like 12.... I wanna go back too cause they are so cool!

AKutarna said...

So jealous, I've always wanted to go there!

Carrie said...

I love Jasper too! There's another really cool place (which I ofcourse can't remember the name of..) that you have to see next time you go. It is gorgeous!