Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Tough Mudder

Way back in March I think I wasn't feeling very good about myself. I still had a few extra pounds from Scarlett and was coming out of my winter hibernation. I randomly saw an ad on facebook for the tough mudder coming to Alberta. I convinced Tyler. We then convinced Kyle and Robin. We all signed up and the Muddy Ninjas were born. We were pretty excited but I was often asked "why would you want to do that?"

We packed up the kids and headed down to Airdrie where we picked up some free Cafe Verde due to their systems being down! We traded vehicles and we were kid free and on our way. We made a quick stop at Sport Chek for neon head bands and GU. We got to Drumheller and found our way to the Super 8. We had a quick visit with Kyle and Robin before they headed to dinner and we headed for a visit with Darcy and Lauren at their campsite in the Boonies. After a nice visit we headed back and watched obstacle videos and hung out. We woke up with plenty of time and went to meet the rest of our team. Robin had invited her friend Brett who then invited his friends Brett, Pete, Brian, Ben and Steve. We piled into the back of Pete's suburban and headed down to the race area. We got our stuff on, drew our numbers on, warmed up and the race started! It was 16 km with 24 obstacles.














The first 5 km or so were insane. It was on a motocross track. The up and down hills were steep and frequent. I got a lung cramp and struggled until the Arctic Enema froze it out of me. After that point it was pretty smooth sailing for me. The boys helped me get over all the walls. I made it up Mt. Everest first try. My favorite obstacle by far was the Mud Mile. It was insane and everyone was helping everyone so much. I love the team aspect of the tough mudder. I was terrified to do the final Electro Shock Therapy was it turned out way less scary than I thought. I only got zapped 2 times. Tyler got it 5! Brian from our team went face down in the mud from it. One of my favorite memories is at the walk the plank obstacle you had to jump off a plank into a pool of muddy water. It was pretty high but not terrifying. There was this lady named "sheri" who was there forever. We even had all the people at the obstacle chanting her name to get her to jump and she didn't! We left before she did. If she ever did. So then it became a running joke to not be a "sheri".














When we finished we ate some ginormous power bars, showered in the ice water, took a million pictures and headed to get our stuff. We borrowed the bathroom at the Super 8 and cleaned up the best we could before heading over to Bernies for supper. Everything there was so good. The burgers were amazing, fries were delicious, and the milk shakes were huge! I might have to go there just to eat! We said our goodbyes and headed on our way to pick up the kids. Elise and Tim survived! We are pretty blessed to have family willing to watch our crazies. It was such a fun weekend! I so happy that I did it. Not sure I will do another but definitely something to think about.

No comments :